While most people will self diagnose themselves with a headache, it is important to consult with Dr. Bonnie Foster for a proper diagnosis. Dr. Foster understands headaches might occur frequently, which is why a diagnosis is needed to create a proper treatment plan. After all, sometimes a headache isn’t just a headache—it can be much more.
Depending on the type of headache, your treatment option will be different. Accurate diagnosis of frequent or recurring headaches is critical to finding relief when symptoms occur. It also helps to establish both a short-term and long-term treatment plan.
A headache might also be a symptom of an underlying health problem that requires further medical attention. In diagnosing headache types, a complete and accurate history of symptoms and characteristics is helpful. Dr. Foster might ask about how the headache feels and the characteristics including:
- A description of the type of pain and where it is located.
- The severity of the pain on a scale of 1 to 10.
- The length of time that the pain lasts.
- The frequency of the headaches.
- A presence of a trigger, such as situations, food, activities or medicines preempting the headache.
- Any symptoms that occur along with the headache, such as sensitivity to light and/or sound, nausea, or weakness.
- Does anyone else in your family have headaches?
- When did you first experience this type of headache?
- Do you experience headaches that feel different, or do you have different types of headaches?
It is also necessary to conduct a physical or neurological examination to find any signs of what might be an underlying cause, such as:
- Trouble with balance
- Vision abnormalities
- High blood pressure
- Fatigue or muscle weakness
- Injuries or head trauma
With multiple types of headaches and many possible causes, it is important to seek further care to determine a proper diagnosis and establish a treatment plan. Most headache patients may not require an array of extensive diagnostic testing before establishing a treatment plan, but that is where proper diagnosis comes into play.
Contact Dr. Bonnie Foster to learn more about the next steps needed in finding relief from your headaches.